Sunday, July 17, 2022

3D Art Summer Project 3 - Week 1

I decided to do something completely different for this last project.  Up until now, I've made props or single objects like vehicles, and one environment [that still had a 'hero object'].  Now, I will be creating an environment made of modular pieces, with a focus on working in-engine and using textures and materials efficiently.  I plan to use decals, floaters, and trim sheets.  I will be using the popular Unreal project subway as my main reference, but will change up the lighting and texturing a bit to make it my own.  I would also like to make a post-apocalyptic version of this in the future, but probably won't get to it with the current scope of this project.

I currently have 21 modular pieces, and may have to add 1 or 2 more, as well as some small props for setdressing.  This is the first time I've moved straight into UE with a blockout, and it took me a while to set up the whole layout and figure out how to line all the pieces up.  Luckily, I do have a great reference from the original subway project.

Week 1: modular kit blocked out, setup and first lighting pass in UE, plan trim sheets

Week 2: finish modeling/game-res, first pass of materials, 2nd lighting pass, finalize layout

Week 3: finalize materials, first surfacing/decals pass, 3rd lighting pass

Week 4: finish surfacing/decals, final lighting pass, fix any remaining issues




Main reference: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/X02eY

No comments:

Post a Comment

3D Art Summer Project 3 - Week 3.5

We only had a few days since the last turn-in to perfect this project, but I've definitely made some changes.  I wasn't happy with h...